Anvil stand

After being inspired by Ries Nemi’sUrban Stump” anvil stand, I set out to make my own. Now that it’s finished, I think I’ll call mine a “steel-belted stump” as most of the effort went into the steel parts. A few nice features: besides being very compact and solid, it is also flexible. The size can be changed to accommodate a different anvil simply by changing the wood; I find it much easier to adjust the length of a 2×4 than a real tree stump! This flexibility was immediately useful because as soon as I finished the stand to support my 150lb Peter Wright, I found a 200lb Trenton, so the stand needed to be changed from a square to a rectangle to accommodate the larger base.

Stock used was 3/16 flat, 3/16 1-1/2 angle and 1/2 rod & the photos tell the story.

A year later I happened upon a 275lb RIDGID/Peddinghaus that had never been used and was about 100 years newer than the Trenton, so time to revisit the stand. Because the new anvil was a bit larger the stand needed to be expanded a bit and a new set of “seatbelts” made. Due to the upsetting block on the back, the new belts had to cross on the ends, so the stand’s corners had to be swapped to put the tabs in the correct orientation–another benefit of the stand’s flexibility. In retrospect I could have saved some bending grief if I’d cut the tabs off and changed the angle a bit.

The Trenton anvil is an example of the American pattern of anvil while the Peddinghaus follows the German pattern. The different patterns or styles represent the evolution of anvils and the cultural differences in how they’re used.

Carpenters flowers

My wife and I found a couple of boxes of construction nails in a recycling dumpster and this set me thinking about what I might make with them.  Being intrigued with organic lines, I wondered if I couldn’t transform the nails into something else, and this lead to a rather nice flower for my wife as an anniversary gift.  Having enjoyed that project, I bent a bunch of extra flower petals for further experiments.  One idea was to make the centers of the flowers from a ball, so I turned some balls from steel rod, and then drilled a series of holes to receive the petals.  With my magnet-friends assisting, I positioned the petals and then TIG welded them in place.  I’m pleased with the results and looking forward to the stems…