Adjustable stock stand

For quite some time I’ve had it on my list to build some type of adjustable height stock stand but in the meantime I have muddled through projects with various impromptu props, all of which worked, just not very well. Recently though I spotted a table base in the trash of our local coffee shop and thought it would make the perfect base for a stock stand. After a little sketching with MoI and rummaging in the scrap pile (I did have to buy some 3/4″ threaded rod & nuts), the idea took shape. The resulting stand provides a stout & convenient support with heights ranging from 30″ to 56″. The photos and the sketch tell the story.

Support for Dust Deputy

I found a “new, unused” Dust Deputy (cyclonic dust separator) on craigslist, but closer inspection later on showed opaque stress marks in the plastic where the bottom of the cone meets the flange (maybe it was a little more used than claimed). I had also seen references to problems with Dust Deputies being weak in this area so I wanted to provide some additional support when I mounted this one to the plastic lid of the 5 gallon pail. My solution augments the standard flange mount with a pair of plywood rings joined by 4 rods which provides additional strength and stiffness for the Dust Deputy.

The support was constructed was from scrap 5/8″ plywood, 1/4″ rod, gasket material, nylon-insert locknuts and 1″ fender washers. I started layout on the plywood using the manufacturer’s template for the holes in the plastic lid and then added the 8″ outer circle and 4 holes for the support rods. Both plywood rings were cut and drilled together, though the 6 flange holes were only drilled in the bottom ring. I’d originally intended to put gaskets on both sides of the lid, but that was overkill so I only put gaskets on the top of the lid. The bottom set of nuts on the rods were tightened to securely clamp the lid and bottom ring, but the top nuts were only gently snugged to avoid putting too much compressive force on the Dust Deputy.

Hardy pipe tool

I have a project in mind that will involve forging pipe and in particular tapering the pipe. I’ve seen this done using a heavy V mounted in the anvil’s hardy, so time to make such a tool for this project. I had some scrap 1″ and 1/2″ steel plate that would be about right, so cut to size, bevel the joints for welding, and then weld it up. Cleanup on the grinder and shaper. The resulting V is 3″ long with 1″ sides. Photos show the stages.